Moat and fishpond at Strelley, 240m SE of All Saints' Church
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008525 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 01:41:58.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Broxtowe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 50901 41882
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moat at Strelley is a good example of a medieval manorial moat with an associated fishpond. It has suffered only minimal disturbance since it was abandoned and so the remains of timber buildings and structures will survive throughout the platform. In addition, valuable organic remains will be preserved in the waterfilled fishpond and in the wet areas of the moat.
The monument at Strelley includes a moat and an associated fishpond. A further
fishpond appears to have existed to the east, on the site of Nelson Cottage
and The Kennels. However, this feature does not survive sufficiently well for
it to be included in the scheduling.
The moat is roughly square and includes a central platform measuring c.35m x
30m surrounded by a 2m deep ditch varying between 10m and 15m wide. The ditch
is crossed by a 10m wide causeway at the north-east corner and its sides are
brick-revetted. The stone-revetted fishpond is situated 15m to the east and
is c.50m long x 12m wide.
The moat is believed either to have functioned as a fishpond, or to have been
the site of a medieval manor house of the Strelley family. If the latter, it
was superseded very quickly by a later medieval house built near to All
Saints' Church and incorporated into present day Strel1ey Hall. The brick and
stone revetment of the moat and fishpond appears to date to the post-medieval
period and indicates that the abandoned site was later re-used as a
water-feature within the park of Strelley Hall. A drain reputedly connects
the moat to the fishpond north of the hall and may be related to an outlet
visible in the north side of the moat.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906), 311
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing