This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hibaldstow Mill

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hibaldstow Mill

List entry Number: 1008528

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hibaldstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Aug-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 22103

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Combined wind and watermills were constructed to maximise the energy potential from the two major power sources for milling available before the advent of reliable steam power in the l830s. They are a very rare monument class with only 13 known examples recorded in a survey of 1965, with only seven surviving as upstanding buildings. Of these seven only three, including Hibaldstow, retain any machinery. Hibaldstow is the only mill in the country to combine wind and water milling and living quarters in one building. James Middleton's design represents a considerable technical achievement in its efficient and compact organisation of internal space, which was also reflected in its external layout, with outbuildings, culvert and the millpond condensed into a small area. Neither of the other two surviving examples of combined mills, Tottenhoe or Little Cressingham, is considered to be as accomplished architecturally or technically as they retain independently constructed dual power sources, whereas Hibaldstow achieved the combination, including accommodation, in one free-standing building.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the largely intact remains of a combined wind and watermill, with living accommodation and the remains of associated outbuildings, pond, race, sluices, leats and culvert. The mill, built by a local millwright James Middleton in 1802 was extended in 1837 by the inclusion of an additional single storey to the tower. The structure, built largely of hammer-dressed limestone and coursed rubble, consists of a two storey roundhouse c.12 metres in diameter, surmounted by a seven storey windmill tower c.19 metres high. It retains much of its original plant and fittings, including timbers from earlier post mills, gears, shafts, treadle lathe, under and over driven mill stones converted from water-power to machine in 1912. Wind driven plant in its original location includes the crown wheel, upright shaft and cast-iron spur wheel driving two pairs of stones, the stones since removed. Fireplaces on the ground and first floor, the latter including a cl9th century ducks nest grate, attest to the mill's use as a dwelling up to the 1880s. Hibaldstow Mill is a very rare survival of a mill combining wind and watermill and living accommodation in one building. At present "Hibaldstow Mill and retaining walls to mill pond and wheel-race" is a Listed Building grade II*. The outbuildings and culvert approximately 5 metres east of Hibaldstow Mill are Listed grade II.

Included in the scheduling are the whole of the building and its machinery, associated outbuildings, comprising the remains of the wheelhouse, (originally adjoining the south wall of the mill) and the site of a rectangular two-room outhouse, separated from the mill by a track. Also included are the mill pond and retaining wall to the west of the mill. The pond was infilled in the 1940s but still survives as a buried feature defined by the present property boundaries. The sluices, mill race, wheelpit and culvert for the tailrace associated with the site are also included. The surface of the access track is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath the track including the culvert and overflow channel are included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 98163 02760

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 03:39:19.

End of official listing