Moated site, 15m south of Moat Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008547 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2019 at 03:40:33.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Walsall (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 05310 98055
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site to the south of Moat Farm survives well and is unencumbered by modern development. The waterlogged moat arms will retain valuable information for the environment and economy of the site's inhabitants and the moated island will retain buried archaeological deposits associated with the house that originally occupied the site.
The monument is situated 15m to the south of Moat Farm, in the parish of
Walsall and includes the earthwork remains of a moated site.
The moated site has been constructed on a south-facing slope and its external
dimensions are 96m north-south and 76m east-west. The four moat arms measure
up to 18m wide and are seasonally waterlogged, although the south east corner
of the moat remains waterfilled. The moat averages a depth of 1m beneath the
surrounding ground surface. There is a retaining bank along the western side
of the moated site which is 10m wide and approximately 0.5m high. This
retaining bank is thought to have been slightly modified during the 19th
century when the site was used as a source of clay.
Access onto the moated island is by a brick bridge across the eastern arm of
the moat and it is thought to mark the site of the original entrance across
the moat. The bridge is 19th century in date and is not included in the
scheduling. The moated island, itself, has an irregular square plan and
measures 52m north-south and 40m east-west.
During the early 14th century the site, known as the Moat House at Heyhead,
was in the possession of Robert Stapleton. Nineteenth century sources indicate
that at this date, the moated site was occupied by a house, the southern end
of which was half timbered, while the rest was 19th century in date. This
house was demolished in the 1870s.
All fence posts, the two sheds and the caravans within the moated island, and
the brick bridge and its gate piers are excluded from the scheduling, although
the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Newspaper Cuttings- Walsall Local History Library, (1870)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing