This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Ambion deserted medieval village

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Ambion deserted medieval village

List entry Number: 1008549

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sutton Cheney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jul-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 17084

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time.

The site at Ambion is a rare example of an early desertion, probably brought about by the plague which severely diminished the population.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is located on Ambion Hill and the ground which slopes down to woodland on the south side. It is adjacent to the site of the battle of Bosworth and includes earthwork remains of the site of a deserted medieval village.

The village earthworks occupy an extensive area measuring over 160 x 180m. They are contained by a boundary ditch on the south side which is 8m wide and 0.5m deep. A hollow way measuring a maximum of 4m wide and 0.75m deep runs from this boundary north-south through the centre of the site turning eastwards half-way up the slope. A number of house platforms can be identified, notable examples being on the far east and west of the area. The earthworks survive to about 1m in height.

The village appears in records between 1271 and 1303 as Anebein or Hanebein. The last known reference is in 1346 and it may have been depopulated by the plague a few years later and never reoccupied. Ambion Hill was the site of Richard III's camp before the battle of Bosworth in 1485 but there is no archaeological evidence of this on the site.

The site today is situated to the west of the battlefield visitor centre, formerly Ambion Hill Farm. Part of the site is used as a car park, the surface of which is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hoskins, WG, Essays in Leicestershire History, (1950)

National Grid Reference: SP 40245 99982

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:14:36.

End of official listing