Moated site with fishpond at Long Whatton
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008550.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:41:53.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
- Long Whatton and Diseworth
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 48263 23462
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The site at Long Whatton is unusually small and is one of two moated sites situated 0.5km apart to the north of the village. The island will contain the archaeological remains of the medieval house for which there is documentary evidence.
The site at Long Whatton is situated between the Whatton Brook and All Saints
church on the north side of the village. It includes a small moated site with
an adjoining fishpond.
The rectangular moated site measures 30 x 35m including a bank less than 0.5m high on the eastern side and a bank 7-8m wide and 0.75m high on the north side. The ditches measure 7-8m wide and are about 1m deep with some infilling evident on the western side extending to parts of the north and south arms. The island measures about 12m square. The adjoining fishpond lies on the north side of the moat and measures 30 x 12m. It is contained by a bank to the north which is of similar dimensions to its counterpart parallel to it north of the moat. The whole system was fed by a small tributary stream on the western side of the site which flows north to the Whatton Brook.
An early 19th century account mentions a mansion near the church with what is described as a small sheet of water before it, which is identified with this moated site. The house was pulled down in 1803.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hartley, R F, The Medieval Earthworks of North-West Leicestershire, (1984)
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire, (1804)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing