This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Stormsworth deserted medieval village and fishpond

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Stormsworth deserted medieval village and fishpond

List entry Number: 1008552

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Westrill and Starmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 01-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Sep-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 17085

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time.

The deserted village site at Stormsworth survives well. It possesses more documentary evidence than most similar sites in Leicestershire and has links with the important abbey at Selby in Yorkshire.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The site at Stormsworth is situated to the north of the South Kilworth to Swinford road on ground sloping down to a stream which forms its western boundary. It includes the earthwork remains of the site of a deserted medieval village and an adjoining fishpond.

The earthworks occupy an area with maximum dimensions of over 300 x 300m. A hollow-way measuring a maximum of 8m wide and 1.5m deep runs from the south-west to the north-east and is joined by a series of house platforms which are mainly situated to the centre of the area. Well preserved medieval ridge and furrow ploughing, considered an integral part of the monument, occurs on part of the western slope extending to the top of the ridge where it adjoins the village boundary which is demarcated by a ditch. In the south- west corner of the site is a square fishpond surviving in a marshy area and measuring about 35 x 35m. The fishpond adjoins the road to the south and the stream to the west.

Stormsworth, also known as Starmore, is listed in Domesday Book as possessing two manors. Between 1069-1086 it was given to Selby Abbey in Yorkshire and retained by it until the Dissolution in 1539. In 1086 there were 15 families and as many as 35 households by the time of Edward I. The village is also known to have contained a chapel dependent on Swinford which is thought to be located on the north-east side of the area. The site became depopulated by order of the abbey by 1500.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hoskins, WG, Essays in Leicestershire History, (1950)

National Grid Reference: SP 58130 80805

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 05:46:27.

End of official listing