Long Curtain, King's Bastion and Spur Redoubt
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008754.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:24:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SZ 63302 99096
Reasons for Designation
The strategic importance of Portsmouth grew rapidly after the middle of the seventeenth century and, in response to this, the earlier Elizabethan defences were updated and improved by the Dutch military engineer Sir Bernard de Gomme. His design included remodelling the existing ramparts, reconstructing the bastions, widening the moats, building the first ravelin and outworks designed to withstand prolonged sieges. Although defences of this type are common in mainland Europe, Portsmouth was the only British town of this date where they were adopted. This monument is of outstanding interest as the only surviving extant length of the ramparts and moat which enclosed Portsmouth. The Spur Redoubt forms an integral part of this defensive arrangement.
This monument includes a stretch of curtain wall known as the Long Curtain, a
length of contemporary moat, a substantial bastion called King's Bastion (or
Wimbledon's Bastion as it was known in the 17th century) and the associated
Spur Redoubt. The curtain wall is part of the 16th century Portsmouth town
defences, later reconstructed by de Gomme. It survives as an earthen rampart
with inclined inner face, flat top and stone outward face rising almost
vertically from the moat. Above this is a brick parapet bordering a walk-way
along the outward side of the rampart. The King's Bastion is four-sided, with
two short flanks and two longer diagonal sides coming to an apex. The sides
are stone-walled, with a low brick parapet wall and the top is banked and
grassed. The curtain wall and bastion were re-utilised during the Second
World War and traces of the artillery concrete bases survive.
The Spur Redoubt was built in 1680 by de Gomme. Essentially the Spur Redoubt
is a small fort of triangular plan, detached from the main fortifications, and
was designed to strengthen the line at what was then considered a possibly
vulnerable point. Access to the Spur Redoubt was through a brick lined sally
port under the curtain wall and a light wooden bridge across the moat. Lord
Nelson passed through this sally port in 1805 on his last departure from
England. Following periods of dereliction and rebuilding the upper parts of
the Spur were removed and the lower levels covered in 1934 when the public
promenade was created. In 1988 an excavation and restoration programme
revealed standing masonry up to 2m high on average and this has now been
Excluded from the scheduling are the path surfaces, lamp posts, two timber
bridges, park benches, iron railings and a 24 pound cannon, although the
ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 57-59
Spur Redoubt, 1988, Unpublished paper
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing