This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Prehistoric linear boundary and adjacent round cairn 938m north-west of Wardbrook Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Prehistoric linear boundary and adjacent round cairn 938m north-west of Wardbrook Farm

List entry Number: 1008845

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Linkinhorne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 07-Aug-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. The linear boundaries on Bodmin Moor consist of stone banks, sometimes incorporating facing slabs or projecting end-set slabs called orthostats. They may be massively constructed, up to 8m wide and 1m high, although the majority are much slighter. Built during the Bronze Age (c.2000- 700 BC), they fulfilled a variety of functions. Some run at high altitudes along a contour and appear to separate lower land used for cultivation from that less intensively used. Some may be territorial, marking the boundaries of land held by particular social groups. Others may serve to delineate land set aside for ceremonial and religious activities such as burial. Frequently linear boundaries are associated with other forms of contemporary field system. They provide important information on the farming practices and social organisation of Bronze Age communities and form an important element of the existing landscape. A substantial proportion of examples which have survived are considered worthy of preservation.

This linear boundary on Langstone Downs has survived well and almost complete with only two minor breaks caused by later activity. The extensive peat growth about its upper end will preserve land surfaces and environmental evidence contemporary with its construction and use. Its close proximity to broadly contemporary field systems, cairns and settlement sites demonstrates well the nature of social organisation and land use during the Bronze Age.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a Prehistoric linear boundary wall forming a major land division near other broadly contemporary linear boundaries, field systems, hut circle settlements and cairns on the western slope of the Langstone Downs on SE Bodmin Moor. A small round cairn is situated adjacent to the upper section of the boundary. The monument is divided into three separate areas. The linear boundary survives as a wall of heaped rubble and boulders, up to 2m wide and 0.5m high, incorporating occasional facing stones and end-set slabs, called orthostats, rising to a height of 0.75m. The boundary extends from an area of uncleared boulder rubble at the edge of the valley floor from which it follows a general alignment ENE, directly uphill, across the western slope of the Downs for 300m, reaching the edge of the gentler slope of the summit dome, from where it turns ESE, extending as a visible feature for a further 32m and covered by a thick peaty turf. Beyond this point, two more lengths of this boundary on the same alignment survive above the peat: after a 61m gap, a 19m length is visible, and 22m beyond that, a further 11m survives; this latter portion comprises almost contiguous orthostats to a height of 0.75m above the wall's almost, buried rubble core. The boundary includes numerous minor indents in its course. The largest of these irregularities, 35m from the wall's lower end, has a short length of rubble walling cutting off the rounded point of the indent. The round cairn is centred 5m south of the boundary wall near the point where it alters course on reaching the summit dome. The cairn survives as a small circular mound of heaped rubble, 4m in diameter and 0.3m high. The linear boundary is one of three similar Prehistoric walls, the other two being outside this monument, which form major subdivisions of the western slope of the Langstone Downs. Traces of the small irregular cleared plots and much slighter, discontinuous, walling of broadly contemporary field systems are visible within the area so divided. The course of the linear boundary is briefly interrupted at two points. Near its centre the wall is crossed by a mid-19th century copper-miners' water-course, called a leat, visible as a shallow ditch, 0.75m wide. A further 100m uphill, the trackbed cutting of a dismantled mid-19th century mineral railway causes a break 6.5m wide in the boundary wall. The surface of the dismantled mineral railway trackbed and the stoneware sink are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sharpe, A, The Minions Area Archaeological Survey and Management (Volume 2), (1989)
Other
consulted 9/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2473,
consulted 9/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcriptions for SX 2473 SX 2474 SX 2573,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1274 (SE wall); 1287; 1428 (part),
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1398,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1398.23,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1428,

National Grid Reference: SX 24760 73831, SX 24958 73842, SX 25001 73839

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 02:14:48.

End of official listing