Bowl barrow 150m north-west of Pipers Green Stud
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008887 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 05:18:27.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Runnymede (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 99119 64666
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite some damage caused by animal burrowing, the bowl barrow 150m north- west of Pipers Green Stud survives well and contains archaeological remains and environmental information relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a rise in the Bagshot Sands.
The barrow mound is 30m in diameter and 1.8m high and surrounded by a
well preserved ditch, 0.8m deep and between 4m and 5m wide, from which
material was quarried during the construction of the monument. Beyond the
ditch are the remains of an outer bank, in places surviving to a width of 3m
with a height of up to 0.2m.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in An Analysis And List Of Surrey Barrows, , Vol. 42, (1934), 37
Fry, S (SCC Ranger), Bowl barrow 150m NW of Pipers Green Stud, (1991)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing