Bowl barrow on Hameldon Pasture
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008918 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:53:41.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Burnley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 89142 32622
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite limited antiquarian investigation of the monument's centre, the bowl barrow on Hameldon Pasture survives reasonably well. Although evidence for the primary burial had been removed by previous unrecorded disturbance, the antiquarian investigation of 1886 found a number of flint tools. Further evidence of interments and grave goods will exists within the mound and upon the old landsurface beneath.
The monument includes a bowl barrow located on the western edge of a moorland
plateau on Hameldon Pasture. It includes an oval mound of earth and stones up
to 0.5m high with maximum dimensions of 21.5m north-south by 17m east-west.
There is an irregular shaped hollow measuring approximately 5m by 4m by 0.3m
deep at the monument's centre containing two large gritstone boulders with a
further boulder a short distance away. These are the remains of a stone cist
measuring c.1.8m long by 0.9m wide which was subjected to an antiquarian
investigation in 1886. This cist was composed of large stones placed
vertically, two at each side and one at each end, and the whole covered by two
large flagstones. The grave was found to be empty indicating previous
unrecorded disturbance, however, a number of flint flakes and arrowheads were
found during this latter investigation.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Edwards, B J N, 'Lancs Arch Bull.' in Burnley Area Prehistoric Sites, , Vol. 7 No.4, (), 53
Darvill, T, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Bowl Barrows, (1989)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing