Round cairn on Hameldon Pasture
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008919.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 00:09:29.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Burnley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 89118 32597
Reasons for Designation
Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age
(c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or
multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone-lined
compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch.
Often occupying prominent locations, cairns are a major visual element in the
modern landscape. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are
the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their
considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide
important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation
amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of
their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered
worthy of protection.
Despite limited antiquarian investigation of the monument's centre, the round cairn on Hameldon Pasture survives reasonably well. This investigation located human remains and pottery, and further evidence of interments and grave goods will exist within the cairn and upon the old landsurface beneath.
The monument includes a round cairn located on the western edge of a moorland
plateau on Hameldon Pasture. It includes a circular mound of earth and stones
13m in diameter and up to 0.3m high. There are a some shallow hollows on the
cairn's surface, the largest being at the centre and measuring approximately
2.5m by 1.5m by 0.3m deep. These hollows are a legacy of limited antiquarian
investigation of the cairn in 1843 by Studley Martin of nearby Ormerod House
who found an undecorated urn containing the cremated remains of an adult and a
child located in a stone cist at the cairn's centre.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Trans Lancs & Chesh Antiq Soc' in Proceedings. Extwistle Moor, Burnley, , Vol. II, (1893), 158
Edwards, B J N, 'Lancs Arch Bull.' in Burnley Area Prehistoric Sites, , Vol. 7 No.4, (), 53
Darvill, T, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Bowl Barrows, (1989)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing