This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Cornish Hall moated site and fishpond, 750m south of Cornish Hall End church

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Cornish Hall moated site and fishpond, 750m south of Cornish Hall End church

List entry Number: 1008978

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 18-Jul-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20755

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Even though the moat arms have been partially infilled, the moated site at Cornish Hall survives in good condition and will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site. The moat itself and the associated fishpond provide information on the control of water in the area. The water-filled ditches will retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument at Cornish Hall includes a moated site and fishpond situated on a south west facing slope, 750m south of Cornish Hall End church. The moated site is an irregular rectangle in shape and measures a maximum of 60m east-west by 70m north-south. The western part of the moated site remains visible as earthworks with moat arms which measure 6m in width and about 1m in depth. The southern arm has been enlarged to form a pond for watering cattle and remains water-filled all year from land drainage, whilst the western and northern arms are seasonally water-filled. The eastern part of the moat has been infilled but is preserved as a buried feature. The buried moat arms are visible as shallow depressions on the same alignments as their western parts. A causeway, 4m wide, gives access to the central island across the western arm of the moat. The island has been levelled in order to provide a flat platform and is at the prevailing ground level in its northern part, but is raised approximately 1m in its southern part. A 15th century house, which is Listed Grade II, and some modern outbuildings occupy the island. An irregularly shaped fishpond, which measures 80m north-south by a maximum of 17m east-west, is situated 6m south of the south western corner of the moat. It is also water-filled by land drainage. A strip of land 19m wide, between the moat and the fishpond, is included in the scheduling as this area is considered to contain archaeological evidence for the relationship between the two features. The site is first mentioned in 1235 as Norton and was renamed after the family of Richard de `Cornerde' of Cornard in 1303. The house, outhouses and the driveway are all excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935), 426-7

National Grid Reference: TL 68410 35700

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1008978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 09:35:10.

End of official listing