Maple Hayes moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009054 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 02:00:40.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Lichfield (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 10185 10060
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The monument survives well and is a good example of a small medieval moated site. The site is unexcavated and remains unencumbered by modern development. It will contain evidence of the building known to have occupied the island during the 13th century.
The monument is Maple Hayes medieval moated site. The site includes a
rectangular island measuring c.30m by 27m upon which is a hollow some 0.6m
square by 0.3m deep a short distance south of the centre. Surrounding the
island is a dry moat 8-14m wide and up to 2m deep. An outer bank c.10m wide by
0.4m high flanks the eastern, southern, and southern half of the western
sides. An 8m wide gap in the southern outer bank a little to the west of
centre indicates an original access point to a bridge. A channel some 2m wide
by 6m long and 0.3m deep exists at the mid-point of the monument's west side.
The monument is considered to have been the seat of Thomas de Abbenhall in
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 3 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
SMR No 187, Staffs SMR, Abnalls Lane: Lichfield,
Snowdon, C A, AM 107, (1982)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing