Round barrow south east of South Wold Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1009384
Date first listed: 03-Nov-1958
Date of most recent amendment: 05-Aug-1992
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009384 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 16:53:03.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Kirby Underdale
National Grid Reference: SE 82181 57021
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
This barrow survives well as a large monument which has neither been ploughed nor excavated. Excavation in both the 19th and 20th centuries was prevented by the trees growing on the mound. These trees will have caused some limited damage to the mound, but most of the monument remains undisturbed.
The monument includes a large, well-preserved barrow, one of a large dispersed
group situated on the crest of the Wolds north of Bishop Wilton. The barrow
has an earthen and chalk-rubble mound 35 metres in diameter and 2.5 metres
high, with an even rounded profile. The mound was originally surrounded by a
ditch 3 metres wide. Although this is not visible, it survives as a
buried feature. The barrow was not excavated by the antiquarian J R Mortimer,
though he included the site in his studies of barrows in this area.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 21055
Legacy System: RSM
48, Humberside County Council Archaeological Record System (48), (1980)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing