This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Southernmost of two cairns east of Glovershaw quarry

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Southernmost of two cairns east of Glovershaw quarry

List entry Number: 1009725

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Baildon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-Dec-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 25276

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Rombalds Moor is an eastern outlier of the main Pennine range lying between the valleys of the Wharfe and the Aire. The bulk of this area of 90 sq km of rough moorland lies over 200m above sea level. The moor is particularly rich in remains of prehistoric activity. The most numerous relics are the rock carvings which can be found on many of the boulders and outcrops scattered across the moor. Burial monuments, stone circles and a range of enclosed settlements are also known. Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone lined compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. A substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although partially excavated, this cairn will still retain important evidence of its original form and of the burials placed within it.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a subcircular cairn situated on boggy ground east of Glovershaw quarry. This is the southernmost of two such cairns. In appearance it has characteristics of a ring cairn; it is a low subcircular bank of earth and stones. This bank is a maximum of 0.6m high and 1.5m wide; it encloses an area 9m in diameter. This present form is largely the result of partial excavation which has removed the centre of the original round cairn, leaving just the outer margin of the mound. This cairn was surrounded by a ditch which is now largely in-filled but remains visible as a shallow depression on the north east side, 0.4m wide and c.0.15m deep. Although this cairn is known to have been excavated in 1949, it seems, that the cairn was not excavated below ground level, but was `uncovered'; the turf and soil being removed down to the `hidden boulders'.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeology Group Bulletin' in Archaeology Group Bulletin, , Vol. 7/1, (1962), 2
'Report 1949 - 1952' in Cartwright Memorial Hall Museum Archaelogy Group Report, (1952), 1

National Grid Reference: SE 13119 40057

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 09:17:40.

End of official listing