This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Priddy Glebe Barrow: a bowl barrow 25m north of St. Lawrence's Church

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Priddy Glebe Barrow: a bowl barrow 25m north of St. Lawrence's Church

List entry Number: 1009765

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Priddy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Dec-1929

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13839

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The barrow 25m north of St Lawrence's Church survives comparatively well despite an area of localised disturbance caused by the Rev T Palmer's partial excavation in 1894. Although it is possible that the primary burial has been excavated, it is believed that secondary burials, the fills of the ditches, and some of the barrow mound remain intact. The barrow will therefore contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating both to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed. The importance of the monument is enhanced by its location in an area which supports a concentration of contemporary burial monuments, thus giving an indication of the nature and scale of human occupation during the Bronze Age period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow located on level ground 25m north of St Lawrence's Church and known as `Priddy Glebe Barrow'. The barrow mound is 25m in diameter and c.1.5m high at its highest point. Although no longer visible at ground level a ditch, from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds the mound. This has become infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature c.3m wide. The ditch is crossed by a hedge on the south and west sides which separates the monument from the present churchyard. The barrow was partially excavated in 1894 by the Rev T Palmer, then Vicar of the parish of Priddy. A burial aligned west to east and possibly contemporary with the construction of the monument was found facing south. Also a secondary cremation burial was recorded. Finds from the site included a bronze knife or dagger, a bronze awl, and some worked flints. The finds are now in the Wells Museum.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barnes, E E, 'Wells AR' in Barrows of the Neighbourhood, , Vol. Vol 23, (1911)
Grinsell, L, 'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural Hist Soc' in Somerset Barrows Part II, , Vol. Vol 115, (1971)
Palmer, T, 'Wells Archaeological Review' in Wells Archaeological Review, , Vol. Vol 8, (1896)
Tratman, E K, 'Proceedings of the Univ of Bristol Speleological Society' in A Stake Circle Barrow - Priddy, , Vol. 11 (3), (1968)
Tratman, EK, 'Proceedings of the Univ of Bristol Speleological Society' in Proceedings of the University of Bristol Speleological Society, , Vol. Vol 3(1), (1927)
Wicks, A T, 'Wells Archaeological Review' in Barrows on Mendip, , Vol. Vol 26, (1914)

National Grid Reference: ST 52817 51415

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009765 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 08:09:42.

End of official listing