Edleston moated site and fishpond
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1009866 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 05:10:16.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 63789 50760
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite some levelling of the monument's profile by ploughing and infilling the site remains in reasonably good condition and is unencumbered by modern development. The island still stands some 1.5m above the moat and evidence of the medieval house, 14th century oratory, and the gatehouse, bridge and chapel referred to in documents of c.1500 will survive there.
The monument is Edleston moated site and fishpond. The site includes an
island raised up to 1.5m high and measuring some 50m by 30m. Surrounding the
island is a partially infilled dry moat that is best preserved on the south
and west sides where it is up to 17m wide by 1m deep. On the monument's
western side the moat widens out to form a dry fishpond measuring 45m by 35m
and 1m deep.
In 1398 Thomas de Fouleshurst of Edleston was given licence for an oratory
which is assumed to be on this site. An inquisition post-mortem of c.1500 for
John de Fouleshurst mentions a gatehouse, bridge, ditch and chapel.
The field boundary on the monument's northern side and the fence flanking the
railway line to the south-east are excluded from the scheduling. The ground
beneath these features, however, is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Cheshire SMR, SMR No. 266/1, (1987)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing