This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hulland Old Hall moat, enclosure, chapel site and four fishponds.

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hulland Old Hall moat, enclosure, chapel site and four fishponds.

List entry Number: 1010029

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hulland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 27-Oct-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jun-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13290

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Hulland Old Hall moat is reasonably well-preserved and retains evidence of buildings and other activity immediately outside the moat, demonstrating well the diversity of this monument class. Although the monument has suffered some disturbance from ploughing, this affects only a small portion of the site and building foundations and other archaeological material will survive extensively and largely in situ. Well-preserved organic and environmental material will also survive in the waterlogged deposits of the moat. In addition, the two small fishponds are undisturbed and will also retain well-preserved organic deposits. The larger ponds, although partially affected by modern disturbance, nevertheless retain significant evidence of their original form and the organic deposits which have accumulated in them.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is situated on the north bank of Hulland Hollow Brook and includes the ditch and central platform of Hulland Old Hall moat and a banked enclosure to the north which contains the site of a chapel and a number of platforms relating to ancillary buildings associated with the moated manor house. A separate area lies c.200m to the east and includes a group of four fishponds and other water-management features. The moat consists of a rectangular platform measuring c.45m by 50m and raised c.1m above the level of the surrounding land. The ditch varies between c.5m and 7m wide and is surrounded by a 1m high outer bank. A channel leads from the south-east corner of the moat to the brook which runs parallel with the southern arm. Although the southern arm and much of the western and eastern arms are waterlogged, it is unlikely that the ditch was ever entirely water-filled as the north side lies at least 2m higher than the south. The brook did not fill the moat but acted as a drain for the water soaking into the moat from the slope to the north. Several factors indicate that it was a particularly wet site, and this is likely to have been one reason why the hall was eventually abandoned and rebuilt further up the hill. These include not only the height of the platform but also the fact that, over the centuries, the moat has become heavily silted. In addition, an overflow channel was dug parallel to the west arm of the moat and is visible now as a linear depression c.5m wide and 60m long. To the north of the moat is a rectangular enclosure surrounded by a slight bank and measuring c.60m north to south by c.150m east to west. To the west of the modern farm track, where the land is ploughed, the enclosure is more readily seen on aerial photographs. In the pasture to the east, however, a number of building platforms can easily be distinguished on the ground within this enclosure. These platforms indicate the positions of ancillary buildings associated with the manor house and will include, amongst other examples, barns and stables. The manor is also known to have had its own chapel and this is believed to have stood within the northern enclosure. To the east of the moat, now situated in woodland, is a group of two small and two large fishponds linked by sluices and created by damming the original course of Hulland Hollow Brook and diverting the stream to the north. The sluices and a weir to the west were all rebuilt in the Victorian era but are nonetheless believed to retain much of their earlier structure. The manor, which is sometimes known as Hulland Hough, was first mentioned in 1250. The valley site was occupied until the mid-seventeenth century when it was abandoned in favour of the current Hulland Hall. The chapel, however, was still in use in 1712. To the east of the fishponds are a series of earthworks which, in addition to the bed of the old Hulland Hollow Brook, include a complex of channels and small, square banked enclosures and, at the east end, a 3m high earth bank believed to be an abandoned dam. These features too are believed to be associated with the moated manor but are not included in the scheduling as they are insufficiently well understood. Also excluded from the scheduling is the modern fencing round the moat although the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hart, CR, North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey, (1984)
Other
Vertical/high elevation in SMRO, Derbyshire County Survey, Hulland Old Hall Moat (run 16.350), (1972)
Vertical/low elevation, Harrison, John, Hulland Old Hall Moat,

National Grid Reference: SK 24066 46427, SK 24294 46323

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 09:38:43.

End of official listing