Moated site at Cotes de Val, Gilmorton
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010194 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 07:16:38.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Harborough (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 55370 88613
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Cotes de Val survives reasonably well and has historical connections with an important Leicestershire family.
The monument at Cotes de Val includes a moated site situated adjacent to
former village earthworks which have now been modified, 4km north of
The moated site is rectangular measuring 60m x 50m in overall dimensions. The western moat arm has been infilled. The other moat arms are dry and have an average depth of about 1m, the northern and southern arms being 6-7m wide and the eastern arm 10m in width. The western arm is known to have remained extant in the 18th century at which time the site is also known to have had a drawbridge.
The site was part of the deserted village of Cotes de Val, the earthworks of which have been modified and are no longer thought to be of national importance. It is referred to as Toniscote in Domesday Book, was later held by the Cotes family and by 1279 was called Cotes Deyville.
The site today contains a farmhouse within the island, the remainder of which together with the southern arm of the moat is a domestic garden. The northern and eastern arms of the moat are situated outside the garden boundary and are a part of the surrounding pasture field. The farmhouse and garden pathways are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicestershire, (1804), 212-3
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing