This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two stone hut circles 937m WSW of East Castick Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two stone hut circles 937m WSW of East Castick Farm

List entry Number: 1010223

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: North Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Sep-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 15147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. Stone hut circles were the dwelling places of prehistoric farmers on the Moor, mostly dating from the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). The stone-based round houses survive as low walls or banks enclosing a circular floor area; remains of a turf or thatch roof are not preserved. The huts occur singly or in small or large groups and may occur in the open or be enclosed by a bank of earth and stone. Although they are common on the Moor, their longevity of use and their relationship with other monument types provides important information on the diversity of social organisation and farming practices among prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

These hut circles on Hawk's Tor have survived well. The substantial build-up of deposits against their uphill sides will preserve buried land surfaces and environmental evidence contemporary with, and subsequent to, their construction and use. Their proximity to other broadly contemporary settlement sites, enclosures, field systems and cairns demonstrates well the nature of farming practices and the organisation of land use during the Bronze Age.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two stone hut circles situated on the lower SE flank of Hawk's Tor on eastern Bodmin Moor, near other broadly contemporary hut circle settlements, enclosures, field systems and cairns. The hut circles are centred 15m apart on a WNW-ESE axis. Each has a marked accumulation of deposits washed down the hillslope against its uphill, NW, side. The hut circle to the WNW survives with a wall of heaped rubble, up to 0.5m high and 1.5m wide, faced internally by spaced edge-set slabs. The wall defines a circular internal area, 4.5m in diameter, levelled into the hillslope. The hut circle to the ESE is similarly constructed, its heaped rubble wall is also 0.5m high and 1.5m wide, around a circular, levelled, internal area 4.5m in diameter. This hut circle has an entrance gap 1m wide facing SSE. The eastern side of the entrance gap is marked by an edge-set slab placed across the wall-line. These hut circles are outlying members of a dispersed, unenclosed settlement containing at least 23 hut circles, whose main concentration is centred 125m WSW of this monument.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
King, G, Sheppard, P, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parochial Checklist of Antiquities 10: Parish of North Hill, , Vol. 18, (1979)
Other
consulted 10/1991, Carter, A./RCHME, 1:2500 AP transcription for SX 2576,
consulted 10/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1178,
consulted 10/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1178.20,
consulted 10/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1178.21,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1014,
consulted 9/1991, Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 1190,

National Grid Reference: SX 25616 76106

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:10:10.

End of official listing