The Mount ringwork at Alderton
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1010255
Date first listed: 05-Dec-1928
Date of most recent amendment: 06-Apr-1992
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010255 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 10:29:28.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SP 74083 46985
Reasons for Designation
Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late
Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended
area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a
substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a
stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the
bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military
operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements.
They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60
with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted
range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular
significance to our understanding of the period.
The Mount at Alderton is one of seven ringworks which survive in Northamptonshire and has an unusual sub-rectangular shape. The monument is largely undisturbed.
The ringwork known as The Mount is located on high ground on the north eastern
side of Alderton village, just to the north of St Margaret's church. The
monument has a sub-rectangular bank approximately 1m high enclosing a central
area which is about 50m across. A large ditch, up to 10m wide and 5m deep, is
apparent around the ringwork on all but the south west side. The uneven
interior of the ringwork is slightly raised above the surrounding ground
surface and is considered to preserve below ground remains of buildings.
The early history of The Mount is not clear, but it is mentioned in 13th
century records and is considered to be of late 11th century or early 12th
century date. On a map of 1726 the ditch around the ringwork is shown filled
with water and the area is called Castle Mound.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 13644
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , The Archaeological Sites of Northamptonshire, Volume not known61-3
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing