Mallows Cotton deserted medieval village

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1010393

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jun-1992

Map

Ordnance survey map of Mallows Cotton deserted medieval village
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 02:38:37.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Raunds

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ringstead

National Grid Reference: SP 97638 73360

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time.

The earthworks of Mallows Cotton deserted medieval village are extensive and include well preserved remains of buildings as identified by small scale excavation work in the past.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Mallows Cotton deserted medieval village lies 1.5km to the west of Raunds and just to the north-west of the A605 Raunds by-pass. The village extends over an area of approximately 500m from north-south and 200m east-west. A distinctive hollow-way 2m deep and 4.5m wide runs from north to south along the east side of the monument. A series of raised rectangular enclosures identifying house platforms and small garden plots are visible on the western side of the hollow-way. Exposed stonework also marks the position of some of the houses. A larger rectangular platform in the north western area is considered to include the buried remains of the manor house. In the south western area of the village, ditches and banks indicate the location of further horticultural plots and fields. Elsewhere trackways run from east to west across the site. The village lies 1km to the north of the partially excavated deserted village of West Cotton, where substantial archaeological evidence of the settlement was preserved. A small excavation was carried out on Mallows Cotton in 1909 when remains of buildings were uncovered. The manorial history of the site is complex as the village was documented jointly with the adjacent villages. However, it is known that the village originated in the 12th century and was well established by 1274. By 1798, when an enclosure map of the area was produced, the village was completely abandoned.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 13694

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments of England, , Archaeological Sites in North East Northamptonshire , (1975)

End of official listing