Moated site with fishponds at Evington
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010686 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 21:46:22.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 62635 02669
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Evington is one of the best surviving examples of this type of site in Leicestershire. It has rare association with several large fishponds, and good documentary evidence regarding its historical beginings.
The moated site at Evington, known locally as `Piggy's Hollow', is a
substantial earthwork including a moat and fishponds and lies to the south of
the village and west of the church.
The rectangular moat island is approximately 65 x 25m, with ditches up to 20m
wide and 3m deep on the north, east and south sides. The moat was originally
fed by a spring from the north and water is still contained in the northern
and eastern arms. Part of a raised trackway on the eastern side of the moat
marks the original access point, leading directly to the church. On the south
western side of the moat, the ditch has been enlarged to form a fishpond 75m
long with surrounding banks 1m high. Ridge and furrow within the moat
extension indicates that the fishpond was later drained and used for
cultivation. A further fishpond lies to the west of this which is 80 x 25m
and not joined to the moat. The curved banks of a third fishpond measuring
75m long are situated to the south.
Documentary evidence indicates that the moat was built by John de Grey, or his
son Henry, in the 13th century. A document dated 1308 lists the site as
containing the manor house, gardens, and ponds.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hartley, R F, The Medieval Earthworks of Central Leicestershire, (1989), 50, 54
Liddle, P, Leicestershire Archaeology: The Present State of Knowledge, (1982), 32/3
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing