This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Perrior's Manor moated site and fishpond

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Perrior's Manor moated site and fishpond

List entry Number: 1010747

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Broxbourne

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Jan-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20609

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The historical use and development of Perrior's Manor moated site has been well-documented through archaeological excavation and shows successive stages of occupation dating back to the 13th century. Although the site is partially excavated a significant proportion of the moat is undisturbed and will retain high archaeological potential.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The moated site of Perrior's Manor is situated approximately 1km north east of the outskirts of Cheshunt, just south of Factory Farm. It is rectangular in shape and measures c.80m east-west by c.70m north-south. The arms are between 4m and 10m wide and about 1.5m deep. The northern and eastern arms remain waterfilled and are fed by the small stream situated north of the moat. The southern arm has mostly dried out. The western arm has been infilled by dumping. There is a causeway on the northern side which measures c.7.5m in width. The island is undulating and overgrown but the footings of a 19th century cottage are still visible in the south-east corner. To the east of and linked to the moat is a fishpond which is seasonally waterfilled. It measures c.35m east-west and 10m north-south at its widest point. It is approximately 1.5m in depth. The site was partly excavated in 1958-59. Four successive phases of building are recorded for the manor house beginning in the late 13th to the late 17th century. The building finally fell into ruins in the early 19th century and later that century the brick cottage was constructed in the south-east corner of the island. Finds included pottery, bronze horse trappings, and 15th to 17th century coins. Archaeological evidence suggests that the fishpond dates to the late 16th century. The footings of the 19th century cottage are excluded from.the scheduling although the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'CBA' in CBA, , Vol. Group 10, (1959), 18

National Grid Reference: TL 34976 05079

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010747 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 08:15:14.

End of official listing