Peel Hall moated site, Kingsley
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010795 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 09:12:14.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 54038 75529
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Peel Hall moated site survives well and is a good example of the site of a medieval moated mansion house. The monument retains considerable archaeological potential for the survival of evidence of the structural foundations of two earlier building phases of Peel Hall beneath the present house and lawns.
The monument comprises an attractive and well maintained moated site, the
island of which is occupied by Peel Hall, its outbuildings and lawns. The
island measures c.35m square and is raised above the level of the
surrounding fields. It is surrounded by a spring-fed waterlogged moat c.9m
max. width x 1.8m deep that has been lined with a sandstone wall. The moat
widens close to the N corner where provision was made for cattle watering.
There are two bridges affording access, that across the NW arm is of
sandstone and brick, while the bridge across the SW arm has ornate pinnacled
cast-iron posts. The monument has been landscaped with the addition of an
ornamental circular island with access via a footbridge close to the W
Peel Hall was the ancient seat of the Ardernes family but was burnt down
sometime after 1663. A new house was built and this in turn was replaced by
the present structure c.1840.
Both bridges and the sandstone wall lining the moat are Grade II Listed.
The hall and its outbuildings; both bridges and the sandstone wall lining
the moat; a path from the bridge over the SW arm to the hall; and all fences
and walls flanking the monument are excluded from the scheduling. The
ground beneath all these features, however, is included.
The ornamental island in the moat is included as any works on it will disturb
other remains in the moat. The footbridge which allows access to it is
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hanshall, JH, History of Cheshire, (1817), 453
10/10/1990, Gleave, Mr T ,
Darvill, T, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1989)
DOE, List of Buildings of Historic & Architectural Interest,
SMR No. 976/1, Cheshire SMR, Peel Hall, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing