This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval Park Pale, Upsall Estate, Thirsk, North Yorkshire.

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval Park Pale, Upsall Estate, Thirsk, North Yorkshire.

List entry Number: 1010804

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Felixkirk

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirby Knowle

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Upsall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Jan-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The Upsall Estate Park Pale is a rare example of an extensively intact park boundary which, by virtue of its association with the contemporary castle and its historical documentation, demonstrates well the articulation of the medieval landscape in this region. The Pale delineates an unusually large Deerpark in an area previously thought to be almost devoid of such surviving monuments, and illustrates an important variation in construction techniques in response to local geological and topographical conditions.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The Upsall Park Pale originally enclosed an area of some 600 acres (240ha.) and therefore defined a large Deer Park. Of when it was constructed there is no exact record, but it was probably during the period of rebuilding of the associated castle in the mid/late 14th century. The estate is documented as having been disparked in 1599, and hence was returned to agricultural use. Other documentary sources, however, suggest that it could still be recognised as a complete park as late as 1773. While functioning as a Deer Park, the area would have served to provide for the estate a constant and sustainable supply of food and perhaps timber throughout the year as well as opportunities for hunting. The Pale itself survives in its most complete form as an earthen bank 5m across and 1m high, with an internal ditch with a span of about 2.5m. It is assumed that the bank was originally surmounted by a timber palisade, thus providing an effective stock barrier. Today the Pale survives best where it has been incorporated into modern field boundaries, most easily seen along the eastern edge where it is marked by a line of mature trees. Variations on this form include less well-preserved sections of bank and ditch, lengths of ditch only, lengths where the earthwork boundary has been ploughed flat, one section of probable double-bank and substantial lengths where no earthwork survives but the Park boundary is marked by a steep-sided stream. It is these natural boundaries which have given the Park its irregular outline compared with more regular examples with entirely artificial boundaries. The sections chosen for scheduling are the best-preserved lengths of pale.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of North Riding of Yorkshire, (1923), 41-42
Grainge, W , The Vale of Mowbray: A Historical and Topographical Account of Thirsk and its Neighbourhood, (1859)
Cantor, L, 'Arch Gazetteer' in Medieval Parks of England: A Gazetteer, (1983), 88-90

National Grid Reference: SE 44937 86249, SE 45280 86565, SE 46096 86295, SE 46137 84909, SE 46174 86100, SE 46197 85951, SE 46377 85250, SE 46448 85583

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 04:23:47.

End of official listing