Moated site and associated remains, west of Hooks Green Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1010912
Date first listed: 11-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1010912 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2019 at 18:11:15.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TL 27125 31497
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moat has a particular significance through its close association with the contemporary deserted medieval settlement at nearby Clothall. Extensive related remains of buildings around the moat as well as horticultural earthworks and ditches indicate that settlement at this site developed in importance through time.
The monument includes a trapezoidal moated site and associated
earthworks near the crest of Hickmans Hill, Clothall. The moat is
aligned east-west with a single causeway facing south. The site has
maximum external dimensions of about 90m and tapers to 60m on the
western side. The moat is up to 5m wide and 1.5m deep and although not
water filled shows signs of dampness. There is also a dry feeder
channel 18m long connecting with a fishpond on the north-west corner of
the moat. The moat is surrounded by an outer bank on all but the
southern side. Opposite the entrance on the north-western side of the
island is an area of uneven ground which marks structural evidence for
earlier buildings. A low terrace platform about 8m wide extends along
the eastern side of the moat. In the field east of the moat are a
series of features including a linear earthwork 0.5m high and 6m wide.
There are also a number of ditches crossing the field which form an
integral part of the water management complex.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 11517
Legacy System: RSM
Title: RCHM Survey Source Date: 1910 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing