Alley's Lane moated site

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1011062

Date first listed: 09-Nov-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Alley's Lane moated site
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:55:51.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford (District Authority)

Parish: Church Eaton

National Grid Reference: SJ 84458 17707

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument west of Alley's Lane is a good example of a medieval moated site and is unencumbered by modern development. Despite infilling, the ditches will retain important deposits associated with the occupation and desertion of the site and structural and artefactual evidence for the buildings here will be retained on the moated island.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a sub-rectangular moated site located 120m east of The Woodlands in Wood Eaton. The moat has been partly infilled but remains distinctly visible as a shallow depression on the ground surface. It measures up to 9m wide and is now 0.4m deep. The eastern arm of the moat includes a narrow causeway across the line of the ditch. There are traces of external banks on the outer edges of all four arms of the moat. The raised moated island measures 92m north-south and 38m west-east. The ground surface of the southern part of the island is slightly lower than that to the north. This forms a subsidiary platform which measures approximately 32m square. Ex situ sandstone blocks are evident in the area of the moated site. The manor of Church Eaton and the vill of Wood Eaton were closely linked and Alley's Lane moated site may be associated with either or both. The manor passed from Hamon de Longford via his daughter to Adam de Brinton in 1216 and remained in that family until 1438. The site is considered to have been infilled at the end of the 19th century using soil taken from the fishpond at Brookhouse Farm, Wood Eaton.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 21527

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Staffordshire, (1958), 91-4

End of official listing