Medieval boundary stone, 420m SSE of Callaly Crag

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1011091

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Medieval boundary stone, 420m SSE of Callaly Crag
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 16:00:09.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Callaly

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Whittingham

National Grid Reference: NU 06320 08830

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Boundary stones have a long history of use in the definition of the extent of land holdings, especially in places where the boundary was most contentious or less well defined by other features. The church was one of the earliest users of single marker stones to delineate the extent of their holdings. The very earliest examples, dating from the 6th and 7th centuries AD, were used to define sanctified areas such as the extent of graveyards or the bounds of a monastic site. Subsequently in the medieval period they were used to mark more extensive ecclesiastical holdings. They are important monuments which often provide our only source of information about past territorial divisions of the landscape. Boundary stones were once more common than they are today and are frequently referred to in medieval and post medieval documents, but most were simple and undecorated. Single decorated boundary stones survive today in certain areas, but groups of well preserved decorated stones like those on Callaly Moor, designed to be closely set along a boundary are rare. The group of stones on Callaly Moor date from between AD 1050 and AD 1250 and are the only known group in Northumberland, paralleled elsewhere by only three examples in Yorkshire, Humberside and Lincolnshire, marking ecclesiastical sanctuaries.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a decorated boundary stone of medieval date situated on the corner of Old Thrunton Woods; it is one of a group of four in the area. The stone, composed of local grey/brown limestone, is 0.2m thick and measures 1.5m high by 0.4m across. On the west face there is a carving of a splayed armed cross and on the eastern face there is a deeply incised crude straight armed cross. The form of both crosses indicates that they date to the 11th or 12th centuries AD. This stone, along with three others, is thought to mark the limits of an area of land at Thrunton which was donated to Brinkburn Priory in the mid 13th century. On such an area of featureless, but well used, moorland some form of artificial boundary marker may have been required.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20987

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Nieke, M R, Callally Moor Field Survey, (1987), 1
Other
Stocker, D, (1992)

End of official listing