Bell barrow 650m south-west of Uphill Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011130 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 19:20:45.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 31612 57914
Reasons for Designation
Bell barrows, the most visually impressive form of round barrow, are funerary
monuments dating to the Early and Middle Bronze Age, with most examples
belonging to the period 1500-1100 BC. They occur either in isolation or in
round barrow cemeteries and were constructed as single or multiple mounds
covering burials, often in pits, and surrounded by an enclosure ditch. The
burials are frequently accompanied by weapons, personal ornaments and pottery
and appear to be those of aristocratic individuals, usually men. Bell barrows
(particularly multiple barrows) are rare nationally, with less than 250 known
examples, most of which are in Wessex. Their richness in terms of grave goods
provides evidence for chronological and cultural links amongst early
prehistoric communities over most of southern and eastern England as well as
providing an insight into their beliefs and social organisation. As a
particularly rare form of round barrow, all identified bell barrows would
normally be considered to be of national importance.
Despite the possibility of partial excavations, the bell barrow 650m south-west of Uphill Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the coastal landscape in which it was constructed.
The monument includes a bell barrow situated on a spur overlooking the estuary
of the River Axe, 650m south-west of Uphill Farm.
The barrow has a mound 13m in diameter and c.1.8m high surrounded by a gently
sloping berm or platform c.3m wide and c.0.2m above ground level. Surrounding
the berm is a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction
of the monument. This has become infilled over the years but survives as a
buried feature c.2m wide.
The barrow may have been partially excavated by the Reverend Skinner and a Mr
Crocker during 1819. Finds including an inscribed bronze ring, four bronze
buttons and ten glass beads are also thought to have been recovered from this
barrow in 1826 by the Reverend David Williams. These finds are now held in
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Mention of artefacts from the site,
Mention of excavations at the site,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing