Moated site 70m south of Long Plantation, Hanslope Park
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011303 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 10:55:40.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 82315 45452
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The small moated site 70m south of Long Plantation survives intact as a good example of its class with no evidence of any disturbance. The monument will contain archaeological material relating to the occupation of the site while environmental evidence pertaining to the landscape in which the monument was constructed is likely to survive in the ditch fills.
The monument includes a small but well defined moated site situated on a
gentle south-east facing hillslope. The moated enclosure is rectangular in
shape with overall dimensions of 40m north-east to south-west by 26m
north-west to south-east and remains in part water-filled. The north-west arm
of the moat is wider than the other three averaging 10m wide and 1.6m deep and
has rounded ends. The remaining sides are more uniform and regular in shape
averaging 5m wide and 1.5m deep. The central platform of the moat measures
some 20m by 12m, has a flat undisturbed surface and appears level with the
surrounding natural landsurface. A small stream supplies water to the moat
feeding in at the north-west corner.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Card no 0356,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing