This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and fishponds 280m south-east of St Lawrence's Church

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and fishponds 280m south-east of St Lawrence's Church

List entry Number: 1011306

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Weston Underwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 29-Jan-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Dec-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 19087

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site south-east of St Lawrence's Church survives largely undisturbed and is a good example of its class. The central platform of the moat is raised above the surrounding natural ground level and will contain archaeological remains of the buildings that originally occupied the island. Environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which the monument was constructed will survive in the deposits in the ditch and the associated fishponds.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated enclosure and associated fishponds situated on a gentle east facing slope overlooking the valley of the Great Ouse. The earthworks are believed to date from around 1315, representing the site of the manor house of the Pevers family. The Pevers held a part of the formerly larger manor of Weston following its division into two portions in 1088, the other portion being held by the Nowers. The old lane leading to the moat is still called Pever's Lane. The moated enclosure is oval in shape with overall dimensions of 46m north- west to south-east by 36m north-east to south-west. The interior platform is raised 0.7m above the surrounding natural ground level, has a flat surface, and measures 22m north-west to south-east by 15m transversely. The moat ditch averages 10m in width and 2m in depth and though now dry appears to have been designed as a wet moat. The south-western side is flanked by a substantial retaining bank 12m wide. A channel 2m wide is cut through this retaining bank 10m from its southern end and possibly represents the site of a control sluice linking the moat with a fishpond complex south-east and downslope of the moat. The dry pond immediately linked to the moat is rectangular in shape, measuring 66m north-east to south-west by 46m north-west to south-east. It is terraced into the hillslope on its uphill north-west side and is otherwise contained within retaining banks averaging 8m wide. A drainage channel 2m wide, again probably the site of a control sluice, is positioned in the north-east corner of the pond. A second dry pond of similar shape and size lies 60m to the north-east and is linked to the former by a shallow dry ditch 2m wide and 0.2m deep. These represent the remains of a water management system probably designed to function as a fish farm operated by the occupants of the moated site.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Card no 0461,
NAR Card no SP85SE19,

National Grid Reference: SP 86628 50273

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 12:52:34.

End of official listing