This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site at Elm Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site at Elm Hall

List entry Number: 1011336

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dennington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 08-Nov-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21308

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Elm Hall survives well, three arms of the moat being well preserved, and the fourth, western arm remaining intact as a buried feature. Most of the island is unencumbered by modern building. The monument will retain important archaeological information concerning the construction and subsequent occupation of the site, and is of additional interest as one of a group of moated sites which survive in and immediately around the parish of Dennington.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site located south east of Dennington Village on level ground above the valley of the River Alde, which lies 750m to the north. The moat encloses three sides of a sub-rectangular island with maximum dimensions of 39m east - west by 31m north - south, and is between 5m and 9m wide and between 2.5m and 3m deep. It is water-filled, fed by surface drainage, with a broad outlet at the south eastern angle which takes the overflow into a field ditch. The fourth arm of the moat, which formerly bounded the western side of the island, was crossed by a central causeway and, south of the causeway was enlarged to 14m in width, with a rectangular horse pond on the west side and a short southward projection approximately 6m wide at the south western angle. It was filled-in in 1948 but survives as a buried feature. North of the site of the causeway, the ground is noticeably damp, and the angle between the outer edge of the former western end of the south arm of the moat and the southward projection is marked by a terrace between 0.5m and 1m high. The island is now unoccupied; the original Elm Hall, which stood in the middle of the southern side, was burnt down and the ruins subsequently demolished at some time prior to World War II.

Farm buildings standing on the south western part of the site are excluded from the scheduling, as are clothes-line posts, service poles, fences and gates, but the ground beneath these buildings and features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Mann, M, (1992)
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500, Old Series Source Date: Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: TM 29107 66605

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011336 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 05:08:12.

End of official listing