Moat Farm moated site and associated pond

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1011337

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1994

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moat Farm moated site and associated pond
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011337 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:14:08.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Brundish

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Dennington

National Grid Reference: TM 27801 69510

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Moat Farm survives well and the island is largely unencumbered by later building. Important archaeological information concerning the construction, function and use of the site will be contained in deposits on the island, and evidence for land use prior to the construction of the moat will be preserved in the soils buried beneath its raised surface. Organic material will also be preserved in water-logged deposits. The moat is of an unusual form, and has additional interest as one of a group of moated sites surviving in and immediately around the parish of Dennington.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site and associated pond, located on the boundary between the parishes of Dennington, on the south and east side, and Brundish on the north and west. The moat, which is approximately 1.6m deep and measures between 11m and 15m in width, surrounds an island of irregular trapezoidal plan, giving overall maximum dimensions of 111m north east - south west by 90m north west - south east. The surface of the island is raised between 0.6m and 0.9m above the external surface level, and access to it is provided by a causeway across the eastern arm of the moat, with a second causeway across the western arm opposite. The moat is water-filled, fed by surface drainage. Immediately to the west of the moat, near the southern end, is an east-west linear pond measuring approximately 65m by 10m which, as part of a system controlling the inflow of water, is included in the scheduling. The moat and the surrounding field system remain much as they are shown in a map dated 1627, the principal addition being a large pond which has been dug on the eastern arm of the moat, towards its southern end. The greater part of this pond, where it is distinct from the moat, is not included in the scheduling. Moat Farm was known formerly as Pyeshall's or Pixhall's Manor, and Robert de Pyshale and John Pyshale are mentioned in documents of the early 14th century. In the mid 16th century it was owned by Henry Edgar (died 1619). Moat Farm House, which stands on the island, incorporates a 16th century building, and a chimney stack bears the date 1606, and the initials of Henry and Bridget Edgar.

The house, which is Listed Grade II, is excluded from the scheduling, as are the outbuildings and sheds on the island, the driveway and paths, garden walls and fences, and a post supporting a television aerial. Also excluded is a farm building which encroaches on the outer edge of the eastern arm, north of the causeway, and the associated concrete standing and revetment. The ground beneath all these buildings and features is included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 21309

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, E, 'East Anglian Miscellany' in Moat Farm, Dennington, , Vol. 11, (1917), 1,5,10
Martin, E, Easton, T, 'Proc Suffolk Inst Archaeol' in Excursions 1991: Eye, Cranley Hall, , Vol. 37, (1992), 398
Other
Title: Map in possession of Mr & Mrs J Nesling Source Date: 1627 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

End of official listing