This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Low Kingate concentric stone circle

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Low Kingate concentric stone circle

List entry Number: 1011350

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lakes

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 18-Mar-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Oct-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 22553

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Stone circles are prehistoric monuments comprising one or more circles of upright or recumbent stones. The circle of stones may be surrounded by earthwork features such as enclosing banks and ditches. Single upright stones may be found within the circle or outside it and avenues of stones radiating out from the circle occur at some sites. Burial cairns may also be found close to and on occasion within the circle. Stone circles are found throughout England although they are concentrated in western areas, with particular clusters in upland areas such as Bodmin and Dartmoor in the south-west and the Lake District and the rest of Cumbria in the north-west. This distribution may be more a reflection of present survival rather than an original pattern. Where excavated they have been found to date from the Late Neolithic to the Middle Bronze Age (c.2000-1240 BC). It is clear that they were carefully designed and laid out, frequently exhibiting very regularly spaced stones, the heights of which also appear to have been of some importance. We do not fully understand the uses for which these monuments were originally constructed but it is clear that they had considerable ritual importance for the societies that used them. In many instances excavation has indicated that they provided a focus for burials and the rituals that accompanied interment of the dead. Some circles appear to have had a calendrical function, helping mark the passage of time and seasons, this being indicated by the careful alignment of stones to mark important solar or lunar events such as sunrise or sunset at midsummer or midwinter. At other sites the spacing of individual circles throughout the landscape has led to a suggestion that each one provided some form of tribal gathering point for a specific social group. Concentric stone circles comprise an arrangement of two or more stone rings set within one another. The diameter of the outer ring may vary between 20 and 330 metres, this ring comprising between 20 and 97 stones. They occur in clusters in Wiltshire, Derbyshire and Cumbria with outliers in North Yorkshire and Dartmoor. The best and most complex examples of this type are Stonehenge and Avebury. Of the 250 or so stone circles identified in England only 15 are of this type. As a rare monument type which provides an important insight into prehistoric ritual activity, all surviving examples are worthy of preservation.

Despite the removal of some of the stones from both the inner and outer circles, Low Kingate concentric stone circle survives reasonably well.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is a concentric stone circle located on a natural terrace on a hillside, along which runs a public bridleway known as Low Kingate, immediately to the west of Hird Wood. Six stones remain in the outer circle, which has a diameter of 20m. Three stones on the western side are incorporated in the base of a drystone wall. Within the outer circle is an inner circle 11.5m in diameter; 4 stones remain in this circle, the largest standing 1.3m high, set upon the top edge of an earth and stone cairn measuring up to 0.8m high and 16.7m in diameter at the base. Drystone walls on the monument's east and west sides are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Waterhouse, J, The Stones Circles of Cumbria, (1986), 143
Cowper, H S, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser.' in Unrecorded and Unusual Types of Stone Implements, , Vol. XXXIV, (1934), 91-2
Other
Bowman, A., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Concentric Stone Circles, (1990)
SMR No. 1933, Cumbria SMR, Stone Circle 1/4 mile NW of Troutbeck Park, (1985)

National Grid Reference: NY 41640 05888

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011350 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 06:07:38.

End of official listing