This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Round cairn, 530m west of Holystone Grange

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Round cairn, 530m west of Holystone Grange

List entry Number: 1011398

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Harbottle

National Park: NORTHUMBERLAND

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20955

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Round cairns are prehistoric funerary monuments dating to the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). They were constructed as stone mounds covering single or multiple burials. These burials may be placed within the mound in stone-lined compartments called cists. In some cases the cairn was surrounded by a ditch. Often occupying prominent locations, cairns are a major visual element in the modern landscape. They are a relatively common feature of the uplands and are the stone equivalent of the earthen round barrows of the lowlands. Their considerable variation in form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although the cairn 530m west of Holystone Grange has been subject to partial exavation in the past, the extent of disturbance is limited and archaeological deposits survive well. Evidence of the manner of construction and the nature and duration of use will be preserved within and beneath the mound.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a cairn of Bronze Age date situated at the eastern end of a low ridge in an area of open moorland. The cairn is 9m in diameter and 0.5m high. The earth and stone mound has a circular hollow 3.5m in diameter at its centre, the result of partial excavation in the nineteenth century by Canon Greenwell. The cairn was opened in 1870 when it is reported that Bronze Age pots and several unspecified items were discovered.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Tomlinson, W W, Comprehensive Guide to Northumberland, (1916), 345
Other
No. 648,

National Grid Reference: NT 96096 00387

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011398 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:48:05.

End of official listing