This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Promontory fort south of Ballcross Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Promontory fort south of Ballcross Farm

List entry Number: 1011430

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bakewell

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Edensor

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 16-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 23310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Promontory forts are a type of hillfort in which conspicuous naturally defended sites are adapted as enclosures by the construction of one or more earth or stone ramparts placed across the neck of a spur in order to divide it from the surrounding land. Coastal situations, using headlands defined by steep natural cliffs, are common while inland similar topographic settings defined by natural cliffs are also used. The ramparts and accompanying ditches formed the main artificial defence, but timber palisades may have been erected along the cliff edges. Access to the interior was generally provided by an entrance through the ramparts. The interior of the fort was used intensively for settlement and related activities, and evidence for timber- and stone- walled round houses can be expected, together with the remains of buildings used for storage and enclosures for animals. Promontory forts are generally Iron Age in date, most having been constructed and used between the sixth century BC and the mid-first century AD. They are broadly contemporary with other types of hillfort. They are regarded as settlements of high status, probably occupied on a permanent basis, and recent interpretations suggest that their construction and choice of location had as much to do with display as defence. Promontory forts are rare nationally with less than 100 recorded examples. In view of their rarity and their importance in the understanding of the nature of social organisation in the later prehistoric period, all examples with surviving archaeological remains are considered nationally important.

The small promontory fort south of Ballcross Farm has been partially excavated and is reasonably well-preserved, retaining substantial archaeological remains throughout. The character of the promontory as a focus for human activity for an extended period during prehistory is demonstrated by the cup-and-ring marked rocks found within the rampart. This evidence of earlier Bronze Age settlement in the area is associated with a group of Bronze Age barrows located on nearby Calton Pasture.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is a small promontory fort located on a spur of Calton Hill. It includes a sub-rectangular enclosure with an internal area of 0.8ha, bounded on the west side by a steep slope and precipice which has been partially scarped. On the east side the fort is enclosed by a 2m high bank which was found, during partial excavations of the site carried out in 1952-55, to be a stone revetted box rampart. Three decorated stones, known as cup-and-ring marked rocks, were found within the structure of the revetment wall. The northernmost 20m of the rampart is flanked by an outer ditch which measures c.7m wide by 1.5m deep and has a slight counterscarp bank on the outer edge. Pottery and quern stones found during excavation date the promontory fort to the Iron Age while the cup-and-ring marked rocks indicate earlier occupation of the area in the Bronze Age. Excluded from the scheduling are the field walls and fencing crossing the monument and a number of telegraph poles with their stays, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Barnatt, J, Reeder, P, 'Derbyshire Archaeological Journal' in Prehistoric Rock Art in the Peak District, , Vol. 102, (1984)
Challis, A J, Harding, D, 'BAR 20, Part 2' in Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne, (1975)
Preston, F L, 'Derbyshire Archaeological Journal' in The Hill-Forts of the Peak, , Vol. 74, (1954)
Other
Sheffield City Museum, Find in Sheffield Museum,

National Grid Reference: SK 22784 69124

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011430 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 05:34:05.

End of official listing