Ringwork in Castlehill Wood
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011431 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 09:10:50.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- High Peak (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 02811 95507
Reasons for Designation
Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late
Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended
area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a
substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a
stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the
bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military
operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements.
They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60
with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted
range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular
significance to our understanding of the period.
The ringwork in Castlehill Wood is a small but reasonably well-preserved example which, although partially disturbed by quarrying, retains substantial archaeological remains including the foundations of stone buildings. In addition, it is believed to be one of the rarer forms of ringwork with an attached bailey, though this bailey is not included in the scheduling.
Although elsewhere recorded as a motte, this monument, sometimes known as
Mouselow Castle, is in fact a ringwork. It includes an oval earthwork,
constructed at the summit of a steep hill, enclosed on all but the south-west
side by a ditch and a substantial counterscarp bank. A bailey or outer
enclosure may originally have extended to the south-west, but this area is not
included in the scheduling as it has been heavily disturbed by quarrying.
The central earthwork comprises an area measuring c.30m by 20m surrounded by
3m wide bank. The bank stands between 1m and 1.5m above the interior but is
between 3m and 4m high above the bottom of the surrounding ditch. Low, grass-
covered mounds, visible on the north-west and south-east sides of the enclosed
area, are interpreted as the sites of buildings. The ditch, which has a V-
shaped profile, is c.6m wide and was found, by excavation, originally to have
been 2.3m deep. The upcast material from the ditch was used to construct the
counterscarp bank which is c.5m wide and up to 3m wide. A line of turf found
within the latter indicates that it was heightened at some point and that the
ditch must therefore have been recut. This shows there to have been at least
two phases to the fortification of the site. The precise function of the
ringwork is unknown but it commands wide views over the surrounding moorland
and overlooks the confluence of Dinting Vale and the valley of the River
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Derby: Volume I, (1905)
Aikin, J , A Description of the Country from Thirty to Forty Miles round Manchester, (1795)
Hart, CR, North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500, (1981)
Watson, J, Archaeologica, (1779)
Reeve, Glynis, Mouselow Castle, an interim report 1984/85, 1984, Report held by Mr and Mrs Goddard
Report held by Mr and Mrs Goddard, Reeve, Glynis, Facsimile reproduction of ... excavations by J Scott c. 1963, Mouselow Castle, an interim report 1984/85, (1984)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing