This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and fishpond at Maynards Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and fishpond at Maynards Farm

List entry Number: 1011607

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Sampford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 08-Oct-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20696

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Maynards Farm is well preserved and will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation and development of the site. The waterfilled ditches will retain environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived. In addition it has a documented history dating back to the early 14th century.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which is divided into two areas, includes a moated site and fishpond situated on high ground overlooking the River Pant, 1.5km south-east of Great Sampford Church. The quadrangular moated site measures 90m NW-SE by 84m NE-SW. The ditches are all waterfilled and are an average of 5m in width. A causeway 45m in width gives access to the island at the southern end of the south-eastern arm and is considered to incorporate the original access. Another causeway, 2.5m in width, on the north-western arm is modern. The island is level and once contained a fishpond on the north-east side which has now been filled in. Another fishpond near the southern angle of the moat remains waterfilled and measures 40m NE-SW by a maximum of 10m NW-SE. The field immediately north of the moat contains visible low earthworks considered to be the remains of a cattle enclosure. This interpretation is accorded by the name, Pightle, which is used locally for the field. These earthworks have, however, been disturbed by ploughing and are therefore not considered well enough preserved to be included in the scheduling. The moated site is considered to have been that associated with the family of Symon Maynard in 1327. The house which is Listed Grade II, barns, greenhouses and the driveway are all excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)

National Grid Reference: TL 65718 35177, TL 65736 35113

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011607 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 03:50:06.

End of official listing