This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site north of Dannah Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site north of Dannah Farm

List entry Number: 1011623

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shottle and Postern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 17-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 23300

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site north of Dannah Farm is a small but well preserved example which has been partially excavated, providing evidence of its construction, but retains substantial unexcavated areas where further remains survive.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This monument, which is sometimes known as The Mottes, is a moated site comprising a roughly square platform, 1.2m high, surrounded by a moat which varies between 4.5m and 6m wide and is enclosed by an outer bank measuring 1m high by 2m wide. The platform is 18m square and is reached by a 3.6m wide causeway which crosses the moat midway along the north side. In 1957, a partial excavation of the site was carried out by Nottingham University Archaeological Society who dug three trenches, the first from the centre of the platform into the field to the east, the second at the north-east corner of the platform, and the third across the causeway. Aside from a concentration of nails at the centre of the platform, no structural evidence was found although quantities of 14th and 15th century pottery showed when the site was in use. The excavation evidence indicated that the platform was raised by laying rubble from the ditch onto the old land surface, topping this with a layer of clay, and layering soil and small stones on the surface. The strong foundation provided by this method, together with the lack of evidence for a timber framed building, indicates that the moat may have been the site of a stone built structure, which was possibly demolished to provide material for later field walls. The precise function of the site is unknown but it may have been a hunting lodge or a deer enclosure as it lies inside Duffield Frith, 600m south of the forest boundary today represented by Palerow Lane. The field walls crossing the edges of the monument are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground underneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Derbyshire Archaeological Journal' in Derbyshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 77, (1957), 60-62
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 2, (1958), 202
Other
Manning, William, A Medieval Earthwork at Dannah Farm, Unpublished account in SMR

National Grid Reference: SK 31176 50474

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 03:35:51.

End of official listing