A moated site at Goddards Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1011627
Date first listed: 17-Sep-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011627 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 02:51:44.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish: Great Sampford
National Grid Reference: TL 62908 35490
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Goddards Farm remains well-preserved and will retain archaeological information relating to its occupation. The waterfilled ditches will retain environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived.
The monument at Goddards Farm includes a moated site situated on a gentle
north-east facing slope overlooking the River Pant, 1.25km west of Great
Sampford Church. The quadrangular moated area measures 42m NW-SE by 33m NE-
SW. The north-west arm has been infilled but is considered to have run in
front of the house through what is now the farmyard. The remaining arms are
between 7m to 10m wide and are waterfilled by seepage. The outlet is located
at the eastern angle. A small causeway, 2m wide, probably modern, at the
southern angle gives access to the island. The present house which is Listed
Grade II dates to the 17th century and has 19th century additions. The site
is considered to be one associated with the family of John Godd in 1327.
The house and path are excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath
these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 20693
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Gerald, C, The Story of the Sampfords, (1981)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing