Moated site at Starling's Green

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1011640

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moated site at Starling's Green
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 16:48:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Clavering

National Grid Reference: TL 46102 31024

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The homestead moat at Starling's Green is well preserved and will retain archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site. The waterlogged ditches will retain environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the landscape in which they lived. The monument has historical documentation relating to its construction in the 14th century.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a sub-rectangular moated site situated on high ground 1.25km south-west of St Mary and St Clement's Church, Clavering. The moated site measures 58m NW-SE by 54m NE-SW. The south arm was partly infilled during road improvements in 1921. The other arms, however, remain waterlogged and are an average of 12m wide. An external bank, 2m wide and approximately 0.5m high is located on the northern and eastern arms of the moat. The interior of the moat is raised approximately 0.8m from the surrounding ground level. Documents from 1332-1333 describe the construction of part of the homestead moat. The name of the site is known from 1484 and is thought to be associated with Robert Starlyng and his family.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 20700

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935)

End of official listing