Shotwick Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011785 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:26:12.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 33595 72022
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site of the original Shotwick Hall survives well, the earthworks in particular being well preserved. Despite modern usage as a plantation the island will retain evidence of the original building which occupied it. Additionally organic material will be preserved in the surrounding moat.
The monument comprises the moated site of the original Shotwick Hall and
includes an island and moat occupied by a coppice known as Moat Plantation.
The island measures c.25m x 32m, is raised c.0.5m above the level of the
surrounding fields, and is occupied by established trees and newly planted
saplings. Surrounding the island is a largely silted moat c.10m wide x 1.5m
deep vegetated with grass, nettles and some scrub. A narrow inlet/outlet
channel links the W corner of the moat to the present field drainage system
while a more substantial waterlogged/silted channel enters the NE arm of the
moat close to the N corner. Outer banks c.6m wide exist along the NE and SE
arms of the moat.
The original Shotwick Hall was burned down c.1620 and a new hall constructed
150m to the E.
All fences and hedges are excluded from the scheduling, however, the ground
beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Jones (Tenant farmer), To Robinson, K.D.,
Record No. 2027/2/1, Shotwick Hall, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing