Foulk Stapleford moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011790 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:44:59.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- Foulk Stapleford
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 48467 64081
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite some recent overploughing that has reduced the monument's profile the moated site at Foulk Stapleford survives in a relatively undamaged condition unencumbered by modern development. The site retains considerable archaeological potential for the recovery of evidence of the structures that originally occupied the island.
The monument comprises a moated site formerly occupied by the manor house of
Foulk Stapleford. It is bounded on the E by the old course of the River Gowy
and on the W by the modern course of the Gowy - originally a leat to Walk
The site includes a grassy platform measuring some 47-50m each way and
standing c.0.3m above the neighbouring ground surface. There is a low inner
bank running around the perimeter of the island and faint traces of surface
scarps. A dry moat 18-20m wide x 1.2m deep surrounds the island and this is
flanked by an outer bank up to 10m wide x 0.2m max. height.
Foulk Stapleford was created out of a 12th century division of the manor of
Stapleford but the distinctive manorial name only became common usage after
Fulk de Orby (Justice of Chester 1259-60) succeeded his father's holding in
Stapleford in the mid 13th century. The site passed through various hands
before ceasing to be in use as a residence by the early 16th century.
The fence running along the moat's W outer bank adjacent to the E bank of the
Gowy is excluded from the scheduling. However, the ground beneath it is
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Cheshire SMR No. 1885, (1989)
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Pagination 106, PN Cheshire,
RAF, RAF CPE/UK 1935/4034-6 (17-1-47) & 2194-5 (17-1-47),
RCHME (Keele), Foulk Stapleford SJ46SE2 Moat, (1986)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing