Moated site and fishponds 500m SE of Eaton

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1011794
Date first listed:
15-Oct-1981
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Nov-1991

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moated site and fishponds 500m SE of Eaton
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:25:08.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rushton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 57889 63124

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site of Rushton Hall survives well and remains virtually unencumbered by modern development. The site retains considerable archaeological potential for the recovery of evidence of the structural remains of two known building phases of Rushton Hall.

Details

The monument comprises a moated site, considered to be the site of Rushton Hall medieval mansion house, and associated fishponds. The site includes a grassy island measuring c.55m x 36m surrounded on three sides by a dry moat 9- 10m max. width x 1.5m deep. An outer bank 10m x 0.5m max. flanks the NW and SW arms of the moat. Adjacent to the SW side of the island is a dry fishpond flanked on its W and S sides by an extension of the outer bank. A second fishpond surrounds the NW and NE sides of the site. This pond is flanked by an outer bank along the W part of its N side. The medieval house of Rushton Hall was rebuilt in the 17th century and held by the Hinton family. It was sold in 1864 and today there is no trace of any building on the level island. All field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling, however, the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
13460
Legacy System:
RSM

Sources

Other
Capstick, B., FMW Report, (1987)
Dennison, E., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Fishponds, (1988)
Dennison, E., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Fishponds, (1988)
Pagination 7, Dennison, E., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
SMR No. 1035/1/1, Cheshire SMR, Moated Site 500m SE of Eaton (Rushton Hall), (1989)
Williams, S.R., Treasure No. 4./A169/, (1976)

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].