Lower Huxley Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011796 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 05:53:45.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 49792 62262
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Lower Huxley Hall moated site survives well and is a good example of the site of a medieval moated manor house. The moat itself is in good condition and remains waterfilled, thus providing conditions suitable for the preservation of organic materials. Additionally remains of both the curtain wall and the earlier Lower Huxley Hall are considered likely to exist beneath the present house and gardens.
The monument comprises a most attractive and well maintained moated site the
island of which is occupied by Lower Huxley Hall, its gardens and lawns.
The island is sub-square and measures c.40m each way. It is surrounded by a
waterlogged moat varying in width between 9-14m. The moat is lined by a
sandstone wall on its outer edge along the NW and much of the SW arms, and on
its inner edge along the NW and NE arms. Access to the island is via a late
medieval arched sandstone bridge across the NW arm with secondary access being
provided by a sandstone footbridge across the NE arm. There are traces of an
outer bank flanking the SE and NE arms, the former c.12m wide, the latter half
this width. Huxley was held by the Canons of St Werburgh Abbey, Chester, from
whom it passed to the Benedictine Order, although it is uncertain which of
their monasteries actually controlled it. After the Dissolution it passed
through the hands of various families and was garrisoned for Parliament by
Colonel Croxton during the Civil War in 1644. The present house is late 15th
century with later additions and alterations. At one time it was provided
with a curtain wall thought to have contained a Jacobean formal garden.
Lower Huxley Hall and the arched sandstone bridge are both Grade II* Listed.
The hall and both bridges, a timber shed and an oil storage tank at the rear
of the hall, a service pipe and two associated manholes, and all walls and
fences, are excluded from the scheduling. The ground beneath all these
features, however, is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
DOE, List of Buildings of Historic & Architectural Interest,
SMR No. 1874/1/1, Cheshire SMR, Lower Huxley Hall (SMR No. 1874/1/1), (1987)
SMR No. 1874/1/2, Cheshire SMR, Lower Huxley Hall (SMR No. 1874/1/2), (1987)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing