This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Old St Helen's Church, Ore

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Old St Helen's Church, Ore

List entry Number: 1011845

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 02-Jun-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 20002

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Parish churches are buildings, usually of roughly rectangular outline, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate to their use for Christian worship. They occur in all parts of England but, because of their congregational function, their overall distribution is in broad accord with the areas of higher population density. Thus agriculturally rich and well populated areas in the 10th-13th centuries tend to contain the highest number of churches. Old St Helen's church is important for its architectural features, incorporating both Saxon and Norman building techniques, and its archaeological potential. Owing to its abandonment in the 19th century, buried deposits within the church have suffered little or no subsequent disturbance. The churchyard, in continuous use within its original boundary until c.1870 but then abandoned, contains many surviving 17th-19th century gravestones. A close association exists between the church and Ore Manor House which stood c.15m to the west of the tower.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a church, listed Grade II, which comprises the remains of an 11th century nave, 12th century tower and 13th century chancel, in addition to a surrounding churchyard and an area adjacent to a contemporary manor house, scheduled separately, all situated on a ridge 3.5km north of Hastings. The church was partly dismantled c.1870 to provide building materials for the new church. The monument is aligned on an east-west axis and has maximum dimensions of 23m long by 14.5m wide; the width includes the remains of the south aisle and north porch while the length includes the ruins of the nave, chancel and tower. The north wall survives to a height of 3.5m and incorporates a small Saxo-Norman window over an infilled doorway and two later Gothic 3-light windows. Much of the east wall remains to a height of 6.5m and has a large 3-light Gothic window. The tower is still standing to its full height. Its east wall was the original west wall of the church and has two small infilled circular windows with an infilled Romanesque window arch between them. The surrounding churchyard was in continual use until the church was abandoned c.1870 and contains over 90 gravestones and monuments dating from the 17th century to the late 1850s. The stone wall, which marks the boundary of the monument to the north, the fence which marks the boundary to the east and the track to the west are not included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bullock, F W B, A History of the Parish Church of St Helen's, Ore, (1951)
Clements, J, Old St Helen's (Ore) Church, A First report, (1988)
Other
Morris, R, HBMC Monument Class Description - Parish Churches, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 82047 12095

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 11:52:13.

End of official listing