This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and ancillary enclosure SW of Stafford Castle

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and ancillary enclosure SW of Stafford Castle

List entry Number: 1011876

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hyde Lea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 11-Feb-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13469

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Despite some minor levelling of the monument's profile by overploughing the site remains in good condition, is unencumbered by modern development, and will retain considerable archaeological evidence of the manor house known to have existed here during the 13th and 14th centuries. In addition the existence of a moated ancillary enclosure exemplifies the diversity in form of this class of monument.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument is a moated site situated adjacent to the A518 trunk road about 1km SW of Stafford Castle and includes a grassy island measuring c.67m x 43m surrounded by a dry moat c.15-25m wide x 1.3m deep. A low outer bank c.15m wide flanks the moat's SW arm and there are traces of earthworks resembling outer banks flanking the NW and SE arms. To the NE of the moat is a sub-rectangular grassy ancillary enclosure measuring c.88m x 65m which was partially moated. The monument at Castle Church is presumed to have been the manor house of Edmund of Stafford in the reign of Edward I (1272-1307), and of Ralph Stafford in the time of Edward III (1312-77) All fences and hedges are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
PRN NO. 798, Staffordshire SMR, Newport Road: Castle Church,
Snowdon, C., AM 107A, (1983)

National Grid Reference: SJ 89755 21555

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 11:40:17.

End of official listing