Moat House moated site
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1011877
Date first listed: 25-Nov-1969
Date of most recent amendment: 12-Nov-1991
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011877 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 12:01:35.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Staffordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 95374 02988
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite the overgrown appearance of the site the original form of the monument's earthworks is still clearly evident. Remains of the original buildings which occupied the island will survive whilst the surrounding moat retains conditions suitable for the preservation of organic remains.
The monument is a moated site located at the foot of rising ground in
undulating landscape. The site includes a raised wooded island measuring
c.43m x 40m upon which are the overgrown foundations of a cottage and outhouse
demolished about 1940. Surrounding the island is a predominantly
waterlogged/boggy moat 7.5-9m wide x 1-1.5m deep. Access to the island is via
a low causeway on the E side. The monument is unexcavated. All fences are
excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 13470
Legacy System: RSM
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Mr Bibby (Site Owner), To Robinson, K.D. MPPFW, (1990)
PRN NO. 189, Staffordshire SMR, Essington Moat: Essington,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing