Cranshaw Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1011888 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 09:39:10.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Halton (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 51762 88738
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The monument is one of an important group of moated sites in the former township of Bold. Despite modern infilling of the moat the monument will retain considerable archaeological evidence of the original Cranshaw Hall, its subsidiary buildings and bridge.
The monument is Cranshaw Hall moated site. It includes an island partially
occupied by the 19th century rebuilding of Cranshaw Hall and farm buildings of
approximately the same date. In the centre of the buildings is a cobbled yard
that is an original feature containing a sandstone-lined well. The
remainder of the island comprises lawns, ornamental shrubbery gardens and an-
access drive. The surrounding moat has been infilled - this task finally
being completed in the late 1950's. The line of the moat's W arm can be
traced across the lawn as a shallow depression c.15m wide x 0.2m deep. A
modern sectional dwelling has been erected above the S end of the moat's W arm
while farm outbuildings overlie part of the E arm. Access to the island was
originally by a bridge.
Cranshaw is first mentioned in 1270 and the moated site was in existence by
1400. The island is depicted on the 1840 Tithe Map as containing Cranshaw
Hall and three subsidiary buildings.
Cranshaw Hall, its farmbuildings, the sectional building and all service
pipes; a greenhouse; a propane gas holder: the access drive, a path and all
flagged areas are excluded from the scheduling. The ground beneath all these
features, however, is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
(copy of original given by owner),
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Smith (Site Owner), To Robinson, K.D. MPPFW, (1990)
SMR No. 5188/1, Merseyside SMR, Cranshaw Hall Moat,
Title: Bold Tithe Map Source Date: 1840 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Ordnance Survey 25": 1 mile 1st Edition Source Date: 1893 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing